- Basmati Rice / Jeeraga samba 2 cups
- Onion 2 medium sized (thinly sliced)
- Tomato 1 no. (chopped)
- Green chili 3 or 4 (slit open)
- Ginger Garlic Paste 1 tbsp
- Mint leaves 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Corianderleaves/Cilantro 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Fresh Yogurt/Curd 1/2 cup (diluted to 1 cup -use the same cup which u measure rice)
- Turmeric Powder a generous pinch
- Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Chicken 1 lb(cut into pieces)
- Ginger Garlic Paste 1/4 tsp
- Yogurt/Curd 1 tbsp
- Chilli powder 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder 1/4 tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Clove 4 no.s
- Cinnamon 2″ stick
- Bay leaf 1 small
- Cardamom 3 no.s
- First wash chicken drain excess water then marinate with the ingredients given under the heading “To marinate” and cover it and keep aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash and soak rice in water for atleast 20-30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet/pressure cooker, add the tempering ingredients one by one then add onion, green chilli, mint leaves, cilantro sprinkle little salt and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell leaves.
- After that add tomato and saute till it turns soft n mushy.
- Now add the marinated chicken, chilli powder, turmeric powder and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Then cook covered for 6-7 minutes or till the chicken gets 3/4th cooked.
- And then add enough 1 cup yogurt and 2 or 3 cups of water, enough salt and allow to boil.
- Once it starts boiling, reduce the flame and cook for 3 minutes.
- And now add soaked and drained rice and pressure cook for 1 -2 whistles.
- But if u are cooking in skillet/stove top, cook rice with lid closed in medium heat till 80% water absorbed(see pic below).
- At this stage using a clean kitchen towel close the skillet and then close the cloth with lid and turn the heat to low and cook in DUM for 6-7 minutes.
- That’s it..Yummy & Aromatic Chicken Biryani ready. Serve hot with raita/curry/boiled eggs.
Tagged with: CHICKEN BIRIYANI