- Basmati Rice 2 cups
- Onion 2 medium (sliced)
- Tomato 2 medium ( chopped)
- Ginger Garlic Paste 1 tbsp
- Green chilli 4 no.s(slit open)
- Mint leaves 2-3 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Green peas 1/2 cup (fresh or frozen – optional)
- Chilli powder 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Food color a generous pinch(optinal)
- Mutton 1 lb or 1/2 kg(cut into small pieces)
- Yogurt/curd 1-2 tbsp
- Ginger Garlic paste 1-2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Biryani Masala powder 1 tsp (optional-can replace with Garam masala powder also)
- Oil 2-3 tbsp
- Fennel seeds 1/4 tsp
- Clove 5 no.s
- Cinnamon 2″ stick
- Cardamom 4 no.s
- Bay leaf 1 big
- First wash mutton thoroughly drain excess water then marinate with the ingredients given under the heading “For Marination” and cover it and keep aside for at least 40-60 minutes.
- Wash and soak rice in water for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet/pressure cooker, add the tempering ingredients one by one then add onion, half of the mint leaves & cilantro sprinkle little salt and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell leaves.
- After that add green chilli & chopped tomato and saute till tomato turns soft n mushy.
- Now add the marinated mutton, chilli powder and saute for 5-6 minutes.
- Then add 1 cup water and enough salt stir well and pressure cook for 6-7 whistles.
- Once done switch off the stove and allow the pressure to cool down then open the lid.
- Again switch on the stove now and add green peas and enough water to cook rice(ie. for 2 cup rice i always use 4 cups water, so to cook mutton have added 1 cup already and now add 3 cups water) and remaining half cilantro n mint leaves and allow it to boil.
- Once it starts boiling add soaked & drained rice and cook till rice done or u can pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- I usually cook without pressure, i cook in medium high heat till the 80% water drained, after that i turn the heat to low and then cover the vessel with clean kitchen towel then put the lid and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- That’s it…Flavorful Mutton Biryani ready, Garnish with some finely chopped cilantro & fried onions